Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Christine Hendrickson Interview About Bayview Mission


Here is the second in a series of interviews with volunteers at Bayview Mission: David Cowen interviews Christine Hendrickson.

You help out with the food pantry every Monday. What kinds of work do you do there?

I help with the preparation of the bags, organize the pantry, dump runs when needed, prepare lunch for the volunteers and shop for needed supplies (anything that we may be short of). I enjoy working at all the different stations. There are many different ones to choose from. We have produce, setting bags up, loading bags, breaking down boxes, loading shelves, preparing/handing out children’s bags, preparing/handing out homeless bags, going through donation bags, checking I.D., line control, and handing out clothes.


What do you find most rewarding about the work?

I really enjoy the smiles that come from the people’s faces. They are so thankful. It makes me feel good inside, knowing that you put the smile on their face, especially the kids. They cannot get the kids’ bags quick enough! They open the bag and look to see what is inside. Then the big smiles come out.


What is most challenging about it?

There are times when you come across a few people that are having a bad day. Something has triggered them, and it makes it difficult to help them. All you can do is let them know that you want to help them and that you care. What they do with it is up to them at that point. I have learned that you cannot take it personally.


You spent a lot of time mentoring a few children this summer. How did you get involved with them?

When my mom moved into the house, we met a few of the neighbors. The neighbor that was a little hard to warm up to ended up being a really great person. Her two brothers had children. I met the kids a couple of times. Just a “hi” here and there.

About a year later I moved into my mom’s house. I would wave to the neighbors and say “hello.” As time went on, the children would come and talk to me and call me by my name. The kids saw that we had toys and fun things at the house. They really did not have much. I remember their Auntie would come over and stay with us when they played in the back yard. As time went on, they would come over by themselves. They enjoyed doing art projects and playing in the yard. The father of the two children never questioned me on when then kids would come home or where I was taking them. As long as their Auntie knew that they were with me then it was OK with the dad. Their cousin also would come over. Now every summer they come out. It has become a yearly tradition that we hang out on Mondays.


What kinds of field trips did you take them on?

It started out with going to the beach or taking my dogs to Fort Funston. They loved taking my dogs and just running around and playing in the ocean. It did not matter how cold it was. Then, as the kids got older, they enjoyed walking around the mall, going to the movies, going to a restaurant, and hanging out at my new house. When I would need to run an errand they would want to come with me, even if it was otherwise boring to them.


I heard they referred to you as a “second mom.” How did that make you feel?

It made me feel really good. The kids mean a lot to me, and I am pleased that they are happy too. At first it was funny. The kids would call out in the store or wherever we were and yell “mom where are you?” They would giggle and give me a hug or just stick by my side. They truly are great kids!

No comments:

Post a Comment